Friday, February 10, 2006

I am a black man
You can not stop my purpose
…this is for living

I am a black man
You can not stop my progress
….this is for movement

I am a black man
I Run… I Fight.. Stand and WIN.
…this is for freedom

~Psalms of Nia ‘06

John Carlos 1968 Olympic Bronze Medalist, 200 Meter Race1969 NCAA Track & Field ChampionJohn Carlos was born in Harlem, New York in 1945. After graduating from Machine Trade and Medal High School, he was awarded a full track and field scholarship to East Texas State University (ETSU). He attended ETSU for one year, single-handedly winning the schools first and only track and field Lone Star Conference Championship. After ETSU, he matriculated to San José State University.During his stay at San José State University, he participated in the 1968 Mexico Olympics and won the bronze medal in the 200 meters. During the victory ceremony, John and Tommy Smith raised a black gloved fist in protest against racism and economic depression for all opposed peoples. This "Silent Protest" was voted as the sixth most memorable event of the century.
http://as.sjsu.edu/legacy/john.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home